Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), is a evidence-based form of psychotherapy that can help you overcome a wide range of emotional and psychological issues including addiction. Our experienced therapists use ACT to help clients develop greater psychological flexibility, cope with difficult thoughts and feelings, and live more fulfilling lives for a sustainable sobriety. ACT is one of the evidence-base modalities we use in our holistic addiction recovery approach at Tree House. For more information, call us today (720) 640-0202.
What is Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)?
Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) is a mindfulness-based form of therapy that teaches clients to accept difficult thoughts and feelings while committing to actions that align with their values. This approach is grounded in the idea that trying to control or eliminate difficult thoughts and feelings only creates more suffering. Instead, ACT teaches clients to focus on what is important to them and take action in that direction, even in the presence of difficult emotions. 
ACT is a form of cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) that has gained increasing attention and acceptance in recent years. It is based on a combination of research and principles from behavior therapy, mindfulness, and Eastern philosophy.
ACT differs from traditional CBT in that it emphasizes acceptance and mindfulness techniques in addition to cognitive and behavioral interventions. This approach can be particularly helpful for individuals who struggle with intrusive or distressing thoughts that interfere with their daily life — especially thaughts that can lead to relapse.
Benefits of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
ACT has been shown to be effective for a wide range of mental health issues, including anxiety, depression, and addiction. By helping clients develop greater psychological flexibility, ACT can help them reduce the impact of difficult thoughts and feelings on their lives and find greater meaning and purpose. We believe in order to attain lasting sobriety, purpose and meaning are critical components, and ACT helps you find it.
Some specific benefits of ACT include:
- Greater emotional regulation: ACT can help individuals develop skills to better regulate their emotions and manage difficult feelings.
- Improved relationships: ACT can help individuals develop more meaningful and authentic relationships with others.
- Increased self-awareness: ACT can help individuals develop a greater understanding of their own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
- Increased self-compassion: ACT can help individuals develop greater self-compassion and acceptance, leading to increased self-esteem and self-worth.
- Improved overall well-being: By helping individuals develop greater psychological flexibility, ACT can help improve overall well-being and quality of life.
How Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Works
ACT is based on six core processes: acceptance, cognitive defusion, present moment awareness, self as context, values, and committed action. These processes work together to help clients develop greater psychological flexibility and overcome the barriers that are holding them back. 
- Acceptance: ACT teaches clients to accept their thoughts and feelings without judgment or resistance. This involves acknowledging difficult thoughts and feelings as they arise, rather than trying to push them away or distract oneself from them.
- Cognitive defusion: This process involves helping clients observe their thoughts from a more objective perspective, rather than becoming entangled in them.
- Present moment awareness: ACT encourages clients to be fully present in the moment, rather than getting caught up in worries about the future or regrets about the past.
- Self as context: This process involves helping clients develop a sense of perspective on their thoughts and feelings. Instead of identifying with their thoughts and feelings, clients learn to see them as transient experiences that do not define who they are.
- Values: ACT helps clients identify their values and what is truly important to them. This helps them make decisions and take action in alignment with their values, even in the presence of difficult thoughts and feelings.
- Committed action: This process involves helping clients take action in alignment with their values, even in the presence of difficult thoughts and feelings. This helps clients develop greater psychological flexibility and move towards a more fulfilling life.
Our Approach to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
Our therapists use a client-centered approach to ACT, tailoring the therapy to each individual’s unique needs and goals. We believe that therapy should be a collaborative process, and we work closely with our clients to help them achieve their desired outcomes.
Our therapists are trained in the latest research and techniques in ACT, and they are committed to creating a safe and supportive environment where clients can explore their thoughts and feelings without fear of judgment.
At our practice, we believe that everyone has the capacity for growth and change, and we are dedicated to helping our clients realize their full potential. We work with individuals from all walks of life and with a wide range of mental health issues.
Get Started with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) Today
If you’re struggling with difficult thoughts and feelings and are ready to make a change, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) may be right for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how ACT can help you overcome your mental health challenges and live a more fulfilling life.
In conclusion, ACT is a powerful form of psychotherapy that can help individuals overcome a wide range of mental health challenges. By helping clients develop greater psychological flexibility and acceptance, ACT can help reduce the impact of difficult thoughts and feelings on their lives and improve overall well-being. Our therapists are committed to providing compassionate and effective treatment using the latest research and techniques in ACT. If you’re ready to take the first step towards a more fulfilling life, contact us today to schedule a consultation.
ACT Program for Addiction Treatment in Colorado
At Tree House Recovery, we offer a comprehensive addiction treatment program that includes evidence-based therapies like Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Our ACT program is designed to help individuals in addiction recovery by providing them with the tools and skills they need to overcome addiction. Our approach is holistic, and we complement ACT with other therapies such as exercise therapy to build physical and emotional strength. Contact our team today to learn more about our ACT program and other addiction treatment services we offer. Call us today to learn more Tree House Recovery’s ACT Program for Addiction Treatment (720) 640-0202
It's Lifestyle Recovery
There is a Better Way to Overcome Addiction – A Health-Centered Program.